Letters to my son(Joshua) #1

In the weeks and months leading up to my first child being born, I wrote letters to him.  Before I even knew the gender of the baby I wrote to "it".  I wrote about any number of things, the most popular topic was about family members.  I told him about each of my parents, his mom, my best friend (Jon), Kacey's parents, and even his two grandmothers on my side.  Since he arrived in late July 2012 a ton of changes have come our way.  Along with those changes there are the challenges of raising a son, work, school, football, and life!  So, I haven't had time to write much to him.  That changes today:
Joshua,
It has been a really long time since I sat down and actually wrote anything.  I miss writing to you, but, I have not forced myself to take the time to do it.  Today is Oct 1, 2014.  You are 26 months old and just last week you found out you were going to be a big brother!  At first you were excited, now, I think you're realizing the attention won't all be on you anymore, and you've been acting.....CRAZY!
Last Monday night you came into the kitchen as I was fixing my plate for dinner.  You were talking to me, but I couldn't understand what you were saying.  Finally, as I picked you up and held you in my arms, I could understand, "Daddy, I gonna be a big "brudder"".  I stood there, probably as shocked as I'd ever been.  You mother and I had not planned this, I assure you.  You were very hesitant to share it with others, as we tried to get you to tell Maw-Maw and Poppa over Skype, but you didn't want to talk about it.
My work keeps me away from home much more than I would like to be away.  I leave home each morning between 6:30 and 7, and I don't usually return before 7 during the week.  Thursday and Friday nights are much later because of obligations to football games. Each and every time I miss a day or two of your life, you overwhelm me with your growth.  Not necessarily physically, but your mental growth astounds me.  You are so very smart and independent and I am so very proud to be your father.
There are so many things that have happened since you were born, it would be impossible to list them all, but I'm going to try.
Your mom and I bought a house in Summerville, which is where we currently live.
I changed jobs, and started a football season just a couple of days after you were born
Mom got very sick and weak, because she lost a lot of blood when you were born
You cried, A LOT!
You screamed, every time we put you in the car, you screamed bloody murder-until we turned you to face forward and you were fine.
We took a trip to Maryland, on a plane, for your birthday!  You didn't mind flying up there, but the flight back was bad.  You screamed the whole trip.  It was hot, apparently the a/c broke that night.  We also flew through a thunderstorm, and I hate flying, so I was a nervous wreck.
So many wonderful things have happened since you came into our lives. I cannot even begin to tell you how much you are loved and how special you are!  We are all so very proud to have you and are eagerly anticipating watching you grow up (slowly) and become the man that God intends you to be.

Comments

  1. I didn't know Kacey was pregnant - congratulations!! :) How cute that Josh told you! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

first ever blog

Fridays