Fridays

Being a football junkie, I live for the weekend during the fall even more so than I do any other time of the year. I think we can all agree that the weekends are the best, but during football season, nothing compares.
Well, the school I'm coaching at now, has started out well. Surprisingly to some, we've started 2-0. We won our first game 34-0, and our second 32-22. The score seems closer than the actual game was. We had a commanding 26 point lead at halftime. Anyway, today's post is not just about high school football, it's about much more. It's about what football means to me, not as a coach, but as a person.
Growing up, my dad played football with me all the time. He taught me how to catch, how to run, how to throw. He taught me routes and plays. He was also responsible for taking me to the local high school games on Friday nights. Unlike most of the little people, who were running around together, I sat patiently beside my dad. Eager to see the next play, to see the next great yellow jacket from Union High. Well those days are long gone, for more reasons than one. (But that's a different day).
Football in general just has so much going on. But college football, has to be one of the purest sports on the face of the planet. Where else can grown men, who are complete strangers, park beside one another, fire up seperate grills, and become best friends because they wear the same color shirt? Go to most college campuses on a fall saturday and you'll see this taking place. Guys and gals who have never spoken to one another are suddenly best friends and are sharing the same coolor and passing out koozies, because they attended/root for the same university. Now obviously there are the d-bags who make it miserable sometimes, but there is something special about college football. Particularly in the South. Because they are so very special.
If you are reading this, you probably know me, which means you know I am a University of South Carolina fan. Unfortunately! My love for all things Carolina can and does get me in trouble sometimes. Take for instance this coming weekend. I got married to my lovely wife almost 3 months ago, June 13. I told her I wasn't going to any Carolina games this year because the end of last year was so dissapointing, losing 3 games by a combined score of 180-30 or something like that. It was bad. I promised that I would make them prove to me this year, that they were serious about football, and were serious contenders. So I didnt get any season tickets this year, I didn't try to make plans last week to sneak away to Raleigh, to watch them take on the NC State Wolfpack. I watched it on tv, after my JV game. Well the opportunity came up on Tuesday to buy a pair of tickets from a coworker and go to Athens to see Carolina take on UGAY. I couldn't pass it up. And, my wife, bless her heart, the lovely woman she is, hasn't given me a bit of grief about it. although I'm sure it is coming. Probably because she took off to Myrtle Beach to visit her aunt and uncle. :)
So I'm super excited to go on a road trip with my best friend Jon and do some tailgating and watch some Gamecock Football. Just another Fall Saturday in the South!!!

Comments

  1. No grief is coming babe, I am just happy that we could do it. But, sorry I couldn't attend with you. I know it is your passion and I love being able to watch you enjoy life :) Love, Your wifey

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

first ever blog

Letters to my son(Joshua) #1